Stay healthy with the benefits of laughter.
Feeling low? There is nothing like a good dose of laughter to lift your spirits up. A sense of humor is the most powerful tool that makes sure that your emotional state supports good health. It is rightly said that, “Laughter is the best medicine” as it triggers healthy physical changes in the body. Shared laughter binds people together increasing happiness and intimacy. Strengthening of the immune system, boosting of energy, diminishing pain and protection from the damaging effects of stress are some of the benefits of laughter therapy.
Our body undergoes physiological changes when we laugh. Muscles of our face and body get stretched; pulse and blood pressure go up and we breathe faster, which sends more oxygen to our tissues. Those who believe in the benefits of laughter term it as a ‘mini workout’ as it offers the same advantages as a workout.
Laughter is a powerful antidote to stress, pain and conflict. Nothing can work faster than a good laugh in bringing harmony between the mind and body. A sense of humor lightens your burden, inspires hope and connects you to other people as well as keeping you focused, grounded and alert.
How does laughter therapy work?
- It relaxes the whole body: Laughter relieves physical tension and stress that leaves your muscles relaxed up to 45 minutes.
- It boosts the immune system: By decreasing stress hormones, increasing immune cells and infection fighting antibodies, laughter improves your resistance to disease.
- It triggers the release of endorphins: These are the body’s natural feel good chemicals as they temporarily relieve pain and promote an overall sense of well-being.
- It protects the heart: Laughter improves the function of blood vessels and increases blood flow, which can help protect you against a heart attack and other cardiovascular problems.
Laughter and humor keep you emotionally healthy. You get a good feeling whenever you have a nice, hearty laugh and this feeling stays, long after the laughter has subsided. A sense of humor helps to keep a positive, optimistic outlook through difficult situations, disappointments, and loss. The benefits of laughter are such they are directly linked to your mental health. This is because ..
- Laughter dissolves distressing emotions.
- Laughter helps you to relax and achieve more.
- A sense of humor shifts your perspective: You see things in a more realistic light and are not overwhelmed by tricky situations.
Benefits of Laughter
- Boosts immunity
- Lowers stress hormones
- Decreases pain
- Relaxes your muscles
- Prevents heart disease
- Adds joy and zest to life
- Eases anxiety and fear
- Relieves stress
- Improves mood
- Strengthens relationships
- Attracts others to us
- Enhances teamwork
- Helps defuse conflict
- Promotes group bonding